NEW Appreciative Inquiry HPO Team Building Activities Introduction
Appreciative Inquiry Team Building or Ai – A smarter way to create positive solutions and get commitment, buy-in and passion, from everyone on the team…
Appreciative Enquiry process…
“ . . . it is through language that we create the world,
because it’s nothing until we describe it.
And when we describe it,
we create distinctions that govern our actions.
To put it another way, we do not describe the world we see, but we see the world we describe.” – Joseph Jaworski
As it has evolved, there are a number of ways in which to conduct smarter problem solving workshops, change management or team building iniatives through Appreciative Inquiry methodology for really effective teamworking development (AI) events and change management interventions.
The AI decision making / smarter problem solving processes all tend to follow a common path of 4 core positive approach phases:
- Discover (conducting appreciative interviews and identifying the themes and life-giving forces)
- Dream (developing provocative propositions for the future)
- Design (integrating wishes for the future with plans for needed changes to structure, systems and processes)
- Destiny (making it happen and making it sustainable over time
Appreciative Inquiry Team Building Training
Appreciative enquiry is a new way of approaching problem solving, team-building, tribal leadership, change management, culture improvement, trust building and positive solutions development.
Large Group Appreciative Inquiry team building works from a set of positive assumptions.
1. In every society, organisation or group, something works well.
2. What we focus on, becomes our reality.
3. Reality is created in the moment, and there are multiple realities.
4. The act of asking questions of a person, or group influences the group/person in some way.
5. People have more confidence to journey to the future (the unknown) when they carry forward parts of the past (the known).
6. If we carry forward parts of the past, they should be what is best about our past.
7. It is important to value differences – Positive Diversity.
8. The language we use creates our reality, perceptions and experience.
The positive culture change, management & Appreciative Inquiry process…
While these may seem obvious, we know from our own worksops and experience that we can look at what isn’t working and start problem solving.
This pulls people backwards/downwards rather than forwards towards the solution.
If we continue to focus on problemsd or difficulties in the past, people become defensive and feel that life is hopeless and the workplace is not safe.
When we ask them about their successes and what inspires them, they become enthusiastic, engaged, start to hope again and explore possibility.
Appreciative Inquiry ‘5-D’ Cycle
- Discovery: The Appreciative Inquiry approach to personal, or organisational, change is to begin by looking for what is working – APPRECIATING the best of our workplace experience – appreciating what give life to the buisness system.
- Dream: This is to consider what might be – ENVISIONING RESULTS
- Design: What should be the ideal? – CO-CONSTRUCTING
- Destiny: How to empower, learn & adjust or improvise – SUSTAINING
- Do-It: Action towards achievement – Commitment, response, action today.
The tangible results of the Appreciative Inquiry process is a series of statements that describe where the person or organisation wants to be, based on the best moments of where they have been.
Because these statements are based in real experience and history, people know how to repeat their success. They have created before, they can create once again. The purpose is to reconnect with the life giving forces-what is working, and then go beyond that to, what could be if we expanded our paradigm of possibility.
2. Appreciative Inquiry COACHING EXAMPLES
* Discovery – What do you want more of?
- Tell me about those times in your career when you felt most alive, engaged, energized; when everything worked to produce the desired results.
- What factors in the environment, the organization, the team contributed to this wonderful experience? What did you do to contribute? What do you value about yourself as a professional and what you have to offer?
- What is the core factor which gives life to your work, without which work would not be the same?
What 3 wishes would you make to enhance the life and vitality of your work and life?
- * Dream – Guided imagery or meditation followed by creation of story, picture, song, etc. which depicts the ideal future work situation. Creation of the ideal job description, life style or experiences.
- * Design – Creation of a purpose statement. Creation of a resume geared to the desired situation. Creation of a profile of the ideal company. Evolution of a strategy for creating an incredible experience or lifestyle.
- * Destiny: How do you make a difference that really makes a difference on a sustainable basis, that fits in with your passion, talents & capabilities.
- * DO-IT! What can you do right now to move powerfully towards your Purpose in an incremental, step by step process.
“The truth is that within each one of us lies the power to cast all misery aside and to KNOW complete Peace and Oneness –
to BE that beautiful creation of perfect harmony – to truly know (help) Myself.” – Mary Burmeister
Namaste’ – Ngiya Ku Bona
Tony Dovale – The Mindset Guy
Choose Life Masters Appreciative Inquiry Team Building designed and facilitated by passionate, engaged Consciously Constructive REVOLUTIONARY WORKPLACE team building facilitators.